Charitable giving is an important aspect of the network and each year, members select a charity or number of charities to support through membership subscriptions, a monthly raffle and other events.
Together for Women and Girls brings together people who care about making a difference and improving the lives of women and girls in Norfolk. The movement, launched by Norfolk Community Foundation in 2018, aims to challenge inequality, abuse, exploitation and disadvantage in the home, the workplace and our wider communities.
By raising funds, as well as harnessing the time and expertise of those who join Together for Women and Girls, Norfolk Community Foundation is shaping a programme to tackle the issues faced by women and girls today.
Together for Women and Girls is:
- supporting inspiring work by local charities through targeted funding to create a brighter future for Norfolk’s women and girls, including a recent major funding boost through funds raised from the national Tampon Tax
- raising awareness of issues affecting women and girls to help effect change locally and nationally
- developing a mentoring programme, helping remove barriers to career progress for women and girls.
Local programmes and initiatives that are being supported by Together for Women and Girls include:
- providing early intervention and tailored support for women who have had a child removed, aiming to ‘break the cycle’ of children being taken from them
- supporting women affected by domestic abuse in North Norfolk
- setting up a support group for vulnerable women with complex and multiple needs at every stage of the criminal justice system
- providing counselling for women and girls with eating disorders
- delivering sessions passing on skills and information to migrant women in King’s Lynn and West Norfolk
- development of a weekly craft group for women with Asperger’s Syndrome
- providing mindfulness and self-care courses for women who have experienced sexual abuse.
More about Together for Women and Girls: https://www.norfolkfoundation.com/giving-philanthropy/collective-giving-networks/together-for-women/
Over the last two years, members have worked closely with Norfolk Community Foundation as their ‘charity of the year’, establishing a small community fund with a focus of supporting charitable groups in the Norwich (and greater Norwich) area. There has previously been a focus around improving the mental health and wellbeing of local people and help for carers and the people they care for to lead a full and active life connected to their local community. Seventeen organisations have received grants of up to £2,000 since the fund was established.
The members have agreed that they would like to continue this collaboration in 2018, with the aim of funding more community based organisations in Norfolk that are playing a vital role in the support and provision of services, to people of all ages needing support.
This year the network has raised a grand total of £9,350.
The funds raised will go to help 5 local charities via the Norfolk Community Foundation (www.norfolkfoundation.com)
- Home Start Norfolk
- East Norwich Youth Project
- Norfolk Family Mediation
- Eating Matters
- Norfolk SEN Network
Communities that Care 2017
In 2017, members voted to continue working in partnership with Norfolk Community Foundation and support ‘Communities that Care’, a new match funding initiative that will fund projects that help people to live in their homes longer and independently as well as supporting and providing respite and activities for carers of all ages to provide a break from their caring responsibilities.
Thanks to the Norfolk Community Foundation and their match funding programme, this year we were able to award grants totalling £11,200, raised by our network’s fundraising activities throughout 2017.
This year’s focus was on ‘Communities that Care’, and the charities we supported through the NCF programme were:
- ADHD Norfolk
- Community Action Norwich
- Connects and Co Young Carers
- Norfolk Carers Support
- Sprowston Day Centre
- The Norwich Centre
You can read more detail about the charities and their projects by clicking here.
NBWN has now raised almost £100,000 in charity donations since the network began (total raised to date £96,561.20). A huge thank you to all our members, guests and speakers for their kind generosity and continued support over the years!
Mental Health & Wellbeing Fund 2016
In 2016, the majority of members voted to continue with a community fund, whereby a number of different projects were supported with a grant of up to £2,000 each , delivered as grants through Norfolk Community Foundation (NCF).
Thanks to the Foundation and their Mental Health & Wellbeing match funding programme, whereby the money raised was matched 2:1, we were able to award grants totalling £13,500 to the following charities and community groups to support projects that are specifically aimed at improving the mental health and wellbeing of local people:
- The Benjamin Foundation
- Headway Norfolk and Waveney
- The Henderson Trust
- Mancroft Advice Project
- Norfolk Community Law Service
- Norwich Family Contact Centre
- The Garage
You can read more detail about the charities and their projects by clicking here>>>
To view the different charities that we have supported since we first established the network by clicking here>>>